Environmental Impact Data Analyst Intern Spring 2024
Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline designs, builds, and operates a fleet of cutting edge, autonomous delivery drones. We serve tens of millions of people around the world.
Joining Zipline’s Emerging Talent program as an intern is an opportunity to contribute to our promise of building a system that provides equitable access to critical healthcare supplies for millions of people. We believe that internships are more than just opportunities to learn by watching or doing low level tasks. We expect our interns to take on meaningful work that actively contributes to moving Zipline’s mission forward, while learning real-world skills that will serve them in their careers for the long term.
Join us, and build the future of logistics with the best humans around!
About the Monitoring & Evaluation Team
The Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team is responsible for exploring and analyzing the impact of Zipline across countries and markets. We design impact evaluations where we assess how Zipline is transforming supply chains for vaccines, medical products, and other commodities. From that point, we move to population health and analyze to what extent improved supply chains can increase access to healthcare (the core of Zipline’s mission) and reduce the burden of disease. A large part of the work is designing and conducting health research. The other part is creating monitoring and evaluation frameworks for ongoing and prospective initiatives. The team is particularly interested in leveraging data science and modeling techniques to solve real-world environmental challenges.
We need additional hands and brains to help us in all stages of the research cycle. This includes drafting research protocols, submissions to Ethics Review Committees, the design of surveys and other data collection tools, statistical analysis, report writing, and the presentation of findings. An ideal candidate will have a strong background in data science with a specific focus on subject matters related to environmental and/or transportation impact research. As an Environmental Impact Data Analyst Intern, your role will focus on assessing and reducing the environmental impact of our UAV logistics operations. You'll be working on immediate tasks such as completing Scope 1 and 2 emissions inventories, as well as forward-looking projects like simulating other environmental and health outcomes. It would be a great opportunity to learn more about any or all of these activities, and see firsthand how sustainable aerial logistics can transform people's health, lives, and ability to live sustainably.
What You'll Do
- Participate in the design of research protocols and data collection tools, both for quantitative and qualitative analyses.
- Summarize internal and external research into formats that are accessible to diverse audiences.
- Conduct environmental impact analyses to assess and mitigate emissions.
- Use data-driven models to evaluate sustainability measures and outcomes.
- Employ remote sensing and geospatial analytics for environmental monitoring.
- Create dashboards to visualize and report on environmental metrics.
- Assist in tracking and reporting on various sustainability initiatives.
- Participate in the broader design of monitoring and evaluation strategies across diverse markets and use cases.
- Participate in the monitoring of ongoing research studies.
- Participate in the preparation of scientific reports and manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals and submission to scientific events.
- Participate in the application process for research grants.
- Conduct systematic and non-systematic literature reviews.
- Conduct data management and data analysis.
What You'll Bring
- Must have at least completed the second year of your Undergraduate studies. Masters and PhD students are also eligible.
- Experience in public health programs and policy research environments, including governmental, consulting, academic, and/or non-profit organizations
- Experience in, enrollment in, or recent graduation from a relevant program such as Environmental Science, Data Science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing, Urban/Transportation Planning, or a related field
- Strong skills in Python or R for data analysis and modeling.
- Experience preparing research protocols.
- Experience in conducting scientific literature reviews.
- Familiarity with grant applications.
- Strong collaborative skills and cultural competency.
What Else You Need to Know
Our internships are full-time positions, in-person at our South San Francisco office. We will host our Spring 2024 interns from January to May.
The starting cash range for this role is $34.00 - 38.00 / hour. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, and working location. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; overtime pay; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Zipline is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your point of contact at Zipline know if you require any accommodations throughout your interview process.