Powertrain Engineering Test Technician
About You and The Role
The Powertrain team is a multi-disciplinary hardware and software team responsible for designing the electric drivetrain at the heart of our life-saving drone delivery service, operating in some of the harshest environments on earth.
As a Powertrain Engineering Test Technician, you will work on the build, assembly, and testing of powertrain hardware. This role will have you working closely and learning from our design and development teams to build custom equipment and execute tests, analyze data, and make recommendations for improvements to components such as motors, gearboxes, propellers, and batteries.
What You'll Do
- Execute test cases and test plans on powertrain components, including electric motors, battery systems, propellers, and power electronics.
- Build and contribute to the design of cutting-edge test equipment including dynamometers and custom wind infrastructure.
- Collect and analyze data from tests, and document results with precision.
- Build test articles at all stages of design maturity. Contribute manufacturability feedback to the design process.
- Maintain and operate our state-of-the-art powertrain test laboratory, ensuring that equipment is calibrated and in excellent working condition.
- Collaborate with Powertrain Engineers to identify component issues and develop solutions that ensure our drones operate at the best reliability and performance.
- Manage a large number of components through various stages of environmental and lifetime testing, including Lithium-Ion Cells, Batteries, Motors, and Propellers.
What You'll Bring
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in a build or test technician role.
- Experience in the areas of dynamic testing and electric drivetrain, such as motor and gearbox performance, battery testing, and/or propeller testing.
- Experience with environmental and durability testing, for example vibration and shock testing.
- Clear communication skills and the ability to explain technical challenges and solutions.
- Attention to detail in documentation and test execution.
- Experiencing using industrial test automation and data logging equipment (NI cDAQ) and associated sensor selection.
- A combination of: soldering, harnessing, machine-shop skills, instrumentation, data analysis.
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Must be able to work in person at Zipline’s South San Francisco Headquarters