Camera Systems Architect
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers.
The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
About You and The Role
We believe access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. In service of our mission to operate at global scale, we’re growing our perception capabilities to expand quickly and safely into delivering new products to new locations, with the ultimate goal of delivering essential packages right to your doorstep. Our perception team is seeking an experienced camera expert to select, build, and integrate cameras and other optical hardware into our drones. The Camera Systems Architect will be the will be the leading optical authority for the business. Their expertise will be vital as we continue to develop more precise delivery platforms.
What You'll Do
- This technical expert will be responsible for all aspects of camera and optical hardware development and integration, including research, design, test, qualification, and deployment of Zipline’s perception systems
- Establish best practices for lense selection
- Help define the future roadmap for optical hardware for Zipline
- Manage of off-shore manufacturing partners on camera design evaluation, module prototype builds, and qualification
- Drive failure analysis and corrective action implementation at manufacturing sites, including assembly processes, testing, and calibration; parametric-data analysis of end-of-line yield and post-reliability failures
- Evaluate and debug perception hardware at module and product levels
What You'll Bring
- More than 7+ years of experience with manufacturing and shipping perception hardware (eg. computer vision/optical systems) in highly complex embedded hardware systems
- Strong leadership experience recruiting, building, and performance managing a highly diverse team of engineers.
- Comprehensive mastery of core camera design principles, including optics, image sensors, illumination, image signal processing, system integration and reliability, design for manufacturing / assembly, and embedded software
- Experience with characterization, requirement definition, and validation of optical systems
- Experience working with contract engineering and contract manufacturing partners, including overseas
- Ability to manage and drive release of engineering drawings and documentation to support design qualification and production builds
- Have experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, stamping, forging, welding, casting, printing, etc.
- Extensive experience with fast-iteration prototyping
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Optomechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or a related field
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $180,000 - $225,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
See more open positions at Zipline
Something looks off?