Senior Laboratory Technologist
Durham, NC, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
Based in Durham, North Carolina, Xilis, Inc. is a biotechnology company developing a precision oncology platform that guides treatment decisions for oncologists to improve cancer care outcomes for patients and supports drug discovery and development for pharmaceutical companies. Xilis’ proprietary MicroOrganoSpheres (MOS) are miniature patient tumors that capture the full microenvironment and heterogeneity and provide an automated and scalable solution. Using MOS and AI-driven algorithms, Xilis is developing a Xilis Response Score™ for the clinic, enabling oncologists to make informed and timely treatment decisions. Additionally, the MOS technology is speeding up the development and clinical trials of cancer drugs by enabling analysis of authentic tumor microenvironments, high-throughput preclinical modeling, and clinical patient selection capabilities.
We are supported in this mission by top Silicon Valley, New York and international venture firms that are leaders in the healthcare space and have invested in top precision medicine companies including Foundation Medicine and Guardant Health.
The candidate will perform patient specimen testing procedures in accordance with SOPs and CLIA regulatory guidelines and help to improve and streamline those processes. This will include performing end-to-end laboratory processes including cell and tissue culture techniques, cell-based microscopy and imaging, and operation of critical laboratory equipment. The successful candidate will bring exceptional skills and abilities to the laboratory. The candidate will also have strong attention to detail and the integrity to precisely report any deviation or issue observed in the laboratory. Finally, the candidate’s communication skills will be stellar. The candidate will report to Xilis’ Manager of Diagnostic Laboratory Operations.
- Participate in all phases of clinical and biological sample testing procedures.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance and cleaning
- Assist with the improvement of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Work closely with the assay development, operations, and quality teams to develop and maintain quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) protocols
- Identify and document potential QC or processing issues and report to management
- Operate successfully in a rapidly changing, fast-paced, mission-driven environment
- Share thoughts and ideas on how to improve performance in the lab
- Perform support tasks across the team as needs arise
- B.S. or M.S. degree in biology, molecular biology, biomedical engineering, biotechnology, or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in a laboratory environment, preferably in an industry setting
- Hands-on laboratory experience including cell culture, pipetting, and reagent or media production is required
- Experience with 3D cell culture is strongly preferred
- Experience working cross functionally, demonstrated exceptional written and verbal communication
- A strong sense of commitment, integrity and handling challenges collaboratively
- Experience and interest in a high-growth startup is preferred
Xilis was created when its three founders — an engineer, a physician, and a biologist — decided to come together and commercialize their technology to transform cancer care. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Furthermore, even if your work experience isn't perfectly aligned with what we've described above, if you're excited about what we're building then we want to talk to you!
Xilis offers comprehensive health, vision, dental & retirement plans, and unlimited PTO. We are a remote-friendly team: our headquarters are in Durham, North Carolina, but we have team members across the US (and beyond!).