Senior Product Design Mechanical Engineer
Other Engineering, Product, Design
San Mateo, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2023
Who We Are
Verkada is the largest cloud-based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers six product lines — video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, workplace and intercoms — integrated with a single cloud-based software platform.
Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real-time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies.
Founded in 2016 with more than $360M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 15 offices across three continents, 1,600+ full-time employees and 17,000+ customers across 70+ countries, including 45 companies in the Fortune 500.
As a Senior Product Design Mechanical Engineer, you’ll contribute to the design and development of new cameras, access control systems, sensors, and other enterprise IoT products. Verkada’s PD engineers own all aspects of the mechanical design from prototype through to mass production.
- Drive new products from initial proof of concept through builds to mass production.
- Generate mechanical solutions for a wide variety of product requirements relevant to enterprise hardware (mounting, sealing, environmental resistance, thermals, tamper resistance, etc).
- Collaborate with our Electrical Engineering team to integrate PCBAs, sensors, interconnects, and other electro-mechanical elements into your designs.
- Collaborate with our Industrial Design team to develop new concepts and ship high quality products. Collaborate with ID to finalize product form & CMF.
- Work with mechanical vendors to dial in DFM/DFA, quote & kick-off parts at prototype and production quantities. Own tooling release, bring up and validation for a broad variety of parts, processes, and assemblies.
- Develop, manage & execute mechanical validation and reliability test plans and various DoEs. Assist with failure analysis and root cause analysis; troubleshoot, iterate, and validate quickly.
- Work closely with our JDM and CM partners to steer your product concepts through validation builds (EVT, DVT, PVT) & into mass production.
- Mentor & guide engineering teammates to grow and succeed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience designing and manufacturing enterprise or consumer electronic products.
- Mastery of 3D CAD software.
- Experience getting hands-on with building & testing hardware.
- Strong understanding & intuition regarding strength of materials, thermodynamics, and manufacturing. We value both breadth and depth.
- Experience integrating thermal management solutions, optics and/or electronics into your mechanical designs.
- Experience working with overseas supply chains.
- Experience working with part vendors on DFM, tooling bring up and validation.
- Experience developing robust 2D and quality systems to ensure quality parts.
- Experience designing products for harsh environments.
- Passion for designing aesthetically pleasing but easy to use hardware.
- Experience working directly with Industrial Designers. Knowledge of CMF specs. Ability to travel internationally up to 15%.
- Startup Mindset: As a fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Perks + Benefits
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada, and Parents at Verkada.