Senior DevOps Engineer
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2024
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology. We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to own build and deployment automation for Vannevar Labs. Your decisions today will have a large impact on the company’s future. We believe that simple systems are easier to understand, maintain, and scale. You will be making trade-offs as you work to ensure that our systems are prepared to operate in both commercial and high-side environments at scale — being able to effectively communicate these trade-offs with your teammates is a must.
What you'll do
- Develop, maintain, and be responsible for overall platform health, scaling and planning.
- Developing self-service tools and automating things to improve data engineering efficiency.
- Build logging and monitoring tools to visualize the state of the platform and improve our SRE practices
- Play a critical part in implementing a secure, robust and high availability DevOps pipeline.
- Work with the team to continue build out of a multi-account AWS environment
- Automate build & deployment processes.
- 3+ years of experience in DevOps, software engineering.
- Experience crafting CI/CD processes and automation.
- Deep knowledge in AWS cloud technology.
- Experience with Datadog, Grafana, Loki, Prometheus, or other enterprise monitoring tools.
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code technologies such as Terraform and Pulumi.
- Proficient with containerization technologies like Docker.
- Excellent with Python, Bash, or other scripting languages.
- Experience working in an agile scrum environment and also an ability to work independently.
- Able to quickly learn new and existing technologies.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent analytical capabilities.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems and export-controlled data.
Additional Qualifications (Nice to haves)
- Experience working with Elasticsearch/Opensearch.
- Experience building CD/CI systems in Github Actions.
- Passion for DevSecOps.
- Experience in data processing with the Department of Defense and/or the IC.
- Have worked hardening and delivering software applications to
- Experience with modern web services architectures.
- Experience with relational database systems, including SQL and relational design.
- Experience with vector database systems.
- Knowledge of advanced networking concepts such as overlays, VPNs, and zero trust networks.
- Experience working in AWS GovCloud.
- Strong collaboration and negotiation skills and must be able to work in multi-functional projects with internal partner engineering teams.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
- 401k matching
- Mental benefits
- Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
- Pet and child care reimbursement during travel
- Unlimited PTO
The salary range for this position is $175,000-$215,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training.
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!