Senior Software Engineer, Backend - TS/SCI
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology. We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
About the role
As Vannevar increases the mission sets we support, we are expanding from one product (Decrypt) to an ecosystem of products. The Platform team is responsible for the shared services & infrastructure that powers this ecosystem. We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with clearance to help us deploy these services in high-side environments.
As a founding member of the team, you’ll have an outsized impact on the Platform’s evolution in support of our developers, forward deployed engineers, and end users. The decisions you make will have a direct impact on the company today and into the future. You know how to balance delivering immediate impact for consumers with designing for future expansions and capabilities.
You should be innovative: willing to take risks, think critically about novel solutions, and advocate for your ideas while seeking feedback and collaboration. You will be making trade-offs as you work to ensure that our systems are prepared to scale — being able to effectively communicate these trade-offs with your teammates is a must.
What You'll Do
- Build a data platform that supports heterogenous datasets – ranging from 200TB of geospatial data, text and multimedia in over 46 different languages, and other mission related datasets
- Solve large-scale data synchronization problems, including propagating data between multiple data stores and external systems
- Migrate our data and applications to classified environments
Qualifications (Must Haves)
- 4+ years of professional software development experience as a backend engineer
- Experience deploying software in classified environments
- Strong experience with either NodeJS or Python
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- U.S. Person status
- TS/SCI clearance
Additional Qualifications (Nice to Haves)
- Experience with OpenSearch, Temporal, Qdrant – which are all managed by IaaC on AWS
- Experience leveraging distributed data processing to establish robust data pipelines capable of supporting hyperbolic scale
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k matching
- Mental benefits
- Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
- Pet and child care reimbursement during travel
- Unlimited PTO
The salary range for this position is $150,000-$215,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training.
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!