Staff Backend Engineer (Go)
We are seeking a skilled Senior Software Developer to join our team. For this role, you should be eligible to work remotely from the European Union or based in the Netherlands (we have an Amsterdam office and, in this case, Visa sponsorship is possible)
What you will be doing
You'll focus on one of the most used Products: Chat!
A big portion of your day will be dedicated to software design, research, and coding. On typical projects, you will have a lot of freedom and you will be paired with another team member. Our team is made up of very experienced engineers, some with more than 10 years of experience. By working together you will learn from each other along the way. Not only that, you will have an enormous impact! Our customers have millions of users; they use Stream for mission-critical features such as showing content and exposing the core functionality of their application
- Add new features to the service and find ways to make the existing ones perform orders of magnitude faster
- Help make our API service faster, more scalable and more flexible.
- Write clean, efficient, and well-documented code
- Design and write state-of-the-art software, follow best practices, measure everything and be responsible for deployment to production
- Engage with customers and help them to use Stream in their app
- Distributed databases: we built our own data store for feeds and for chat
- Real-time messaging
- High performance: our API responses are in the 10ms range
- High scalability: we use sharding, master-master, and master-slave to ensure scalability
- High availability: our entire infrastructure is designed and operated to survive entire datacenter crashes
- Multi-region: we deploy our service on 4 different continents
- 5+ years of backend development experience
- Proficiency in Go language is strongly preferred
- Experience with high traffic and high performance applications
- Solid knowledge of relational databases
- Experience with building HTTP APIs
- Experience managing your own projects and work in a team
- Experience with one (preferably few) of the following languages: Rust, Java, C, C++, Erlang, Node.js, Python
- Experience with message queues such as RabbitMQ
- Experience with automated testing and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Experience with designing and building REST API’s
- Experience with cloud-based platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field.
Our tech stack:
At Stream we use a wide collection of technologies to offer highly optimised and available features to our customers. Over the years we have experimented with different programming languages, frameworks, databases, and libraries. Here is a short list of the technology that we currently use. Do not worry if you do not master them all or if you do not see your favourite tool or language, you will have the chance to be exposed to most and to convince us to expand the list:
- Go, Python, NodeJS
- Postgresql, CockroachDB
- AWS, Puppet, CloudFormation
- Grafana, Graphite, ELK, Jaeger
- Redis, Memcached
Why join Stream?
- History of success. From Amsterdam to Boulder and Techstars in-between, Stream has raised over $58.25M to build the best Chat Messaging & Activity Feed infrastructure available, with best-in-class support.
- Freedom and endless growth opportunities. As a rapidly growing startup (since 2020 we have gone from 30 to 150 employees), Stream gives you unique personal and professional growth opportunities. The opportunity of true ownership and accountability has a massive impact on your career. These are the things you can rarely experience in huge corporations.
- Be on the front line of progress and innovation. While working with cutting-edge technology, we are passionate about tackling difficult tech problems at scale and creating reusable components for them, empowering engineering teams to ship apps faster, more securely, and with a better user experience.
- They believe in us: Stream is backed by leading VC companies (Felicis Ventures, GGV Capital, 01.Advisors, Techstars, Arthur Ventures), including backers like Dick Costolo (01 Advisors, ex-CEO of Twitter), Olivier Pomel (CEO of Datadog), Tom Preston-Werner (Co-Founder of GitHub), Nicolas Dessaigne (Co-Founder of Algolia), Johnny Boufarhat (Founder and CEO of Hopin).
- Complete location and working hours flexibility. If you prefer working from the office, working 100% remotely, combining both, or relocating to our AMS office, you have total freedom to choose what works best for you and makes you happy. We’re here to support you in being productive and feeling part of the team, no matter where you are.
What we have to offer you
Stream employees enjoy some of the best benefits in the industry:
- A team of exceptional engineers
- The chance to work on OSS projects ******
- 28 days paid time off plus paid Dutch holidays
- Company equity
- A pension scheme
- Remote work flexibility
- A Learning and Development budget
- Commute expenses to Amsterdam covered or the option to use a company bike within the city
- Fitness stipend
- Monthly in-office chair massages by a professional
- MacBook Pro
- Healthy team lunches and plenty of snacks
- A generous relocation package
- An office in the heart of Amsterdam
- The opportunity to attend or present at global conferences and meetups
- The possibility to visit our office in Boulder, CO
- Parental leave paid at 100%
Note: this list of benefits applies to Netherlands-based employees and is adjusted per your location of residence.
Stream has a casual social culture, our team is diverse and we all have different backgrounds. Now, Stream is a team of over 130+ peers from over 35 countries across the globe.
We value transparency, aim for excellence, and support each other on our way to new victories.
Our team consists of the strongest talents worldwide, making Stream a great place to learn and improve your skills.
When it comes to software engineering, our culture is oriented towards ownership and quality: our goal is to deliver stable software.
If you are interested in becoming a part of what we do, apply now!
Stream provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
No recruiters/agencies please