Software Engineering, Data Science
Karachi, Karachi City, Sindh, Pakistan
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Headquartered out of Denver, CO, and with an office in Karachi, PK, we’re a small but mighty team on a mission to completely reinvent the future of learning at work.
Introducing Spekit: the new way to learn in today’s remote, digital workplace. Say goodbye to distracted zoom training sessions and lengthy LMS courses your teams will forget. Instead, Spekit takes all of your training & enablement – for applications, processes, sales playbooks, SOPs, and more and embeds that training directly in your employees’ tools & workflows, right when and where they need them. Whether that’s a walkthrough to guide you through creating a quote in Salesforce or a competitor battle card to handle an objection in email, Spekit is your learning companion every step of the way.
The world’s most innovative companies, including Uber Freight, Outreach, Snowflake, Southwest Airlines, and Udemy, leverage Spekit to accelerate onboarding, drive tool adoption, increase productivity, remove the friction of change management, and fuel the growth of their employees – from anywhere.
With over $60M in VC funding from top venture firms, including Craft Ventures, Bonfire Ventures, Renegade Partners, and the Foundry Group, Spekit is the rocket ship you’ll want to be on.
We’re looking for an experienced Data Engineer committed to high standards of excellence to help us continue to build world class products for our customers!
Spekit is an engineering and product-focused company. As our Data Engineer, you’ll provide our team with real-time data-driven business intelligence, support data-powered product features like smart content creation & recommendations, and collaborate with the broader engineering org on architectural design and scalable solutions.
However, we’re not simply looking for an expert Data Engineer; The successful candidate will thrive at the intersection of technical ability and business savvy. More than just crunching numbers, you'll transform data into a strategic business asset. You’ll anticipate questions across departments, influence data-driven decisions, and challenge assumptions to unlock growth potential.
Additionally, you’ll get a chance to learn and thrive amongst other extremely talented engineers, while learning and working with a diverse team based in the US, India, Mexico and Pakistan, embracing challenges leading to growth and tapping into new opportunities that will shape the future of learning in the workplace. Not to mention you’ll get to work with leaders like Mike Falanga, Paul Hepworth, and Yasir Shafi who are not only industry experts, but incredible coaches and mentors.
If you’re a do-er who thrives in a fast paced environment and who wants to leverage their expertise to make real, measurable impacts on the future of an organization, we want to hear from you!
- You have a passion for high data quality analysis and data science work
- You start with the most important questions we should be asking and are both interested and able to make value judgements, drive proactive analysis and research, and connect data to business outcomes
- You have experience running experiments and using various types of models to answer questions with various amounts of data quickly with maximum confidence
- You can demonstrate expertise in the design and development of dashboards, reports, and visualizations using a variety of business intelligence applications
- You can build and maintain an accessible and user-friendly data infrastructure that empowers other teams like marketing, sales, and product development to make data-driven decisions
- You have at least 5+ years experience in a data discipline which has allowed you to hone your technical skills in the following areas: SQL and distributed system optimization (e.g. Spark, Presto, Hadoop, Hive)Data analysis (e.g. Python, R, Scala, Superset, and Tableau)ETL frameworks (e.g. dbt, Airflow)
- You can demonstrate excellent working knowledge of data warehousing and data modeling with a strong grasp of different data schemas
- You have a solid grasp of software engineering best practices around testing, refactoring, and writing well structured code that has lower maintenance costs and fewer defects
- Ideally, you’ve done database administration (tuning of tables, indices, shards, etc.) and you know the Django ORM well enough to help us write better queries
- Familiarity with modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical underpinnings, such as classification, clustering, optimization
- You can demonstrate an understanding of large-scale, high-performance data processing systems
- You have familiarity with logging to support our data flow
- You enjoy presenting your data research to a wide variety of stakeholders, in a way that is clear and digestible
- You enjoy working in an Agile development environment and taking initiative in improving systems both for our teams as well as users
- You have a Graduate or Undergraduate degree in Math, Statistics, Engineering, or similar technical related field
Qualities we’re looking for in you
- Problem solver: You’re determined to find the simplest solution, even if that solution is hard work. You are not shy about diving into complex problems. If you don’t know the answer, you seek others out with domain knowledge so that you can learn and make an impact
- Influence: You can translate complex data into clear and actionable insights can influence how different teams understand and respond to market trends, customer behavior, and operational metrics
- Ambiguity: You can take a vague request and find the answers necessary to come up with a solution. You find the unknowns and work in a way to flush them out as soon as possible. You use small iterations and copious amounts of feedback to make sure you are on the right track.
- Technical excellence: You are proud of the work you merge to production. You stand behind the pull requests you approve. Every line of code has a purpose. We solve today's problems today, and have the confidence and ability to solve tomorrow's problems tomorrow. You are not your code. You seek criticism and engage in discussion because you want to be better
- Product-based mindset: We think long-term with the product vision in mind. We empathize with the customer - whether that customer is an end user, another team, a 3rd party integrator, or Spekit's own employees. You have a desire to develop a product that end users LOVE to use on a day to day basis!
Technologies we embrace
- Backend - Python (+ Django / Django-Rest), PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ, Linuxdbt, Explo, Algolia, Pinecone, OpenAI
- Frontend - NodeJS, React, Typescript
What's in it for you?
- Health Insurance CoverageMedical OPD (upon confirmation)
- Provident Fund & EOBI
- 28 days annual leave + your birthday off!
- Food & Internet Allowance
- Hybrid work environment: Remote-first with company provided home off setup with the option to work from the Karachi office when you feel the need
- Meaningful equity: every employee is granted stock options when they walk in the door
- Multicultural & dynamic environment in fast-growing worldwide business.
- One-of-a-kind company culture: a mixture of open mindset, high dedication, success oriented, and high team spirit.
- Amazing team that is committed to the highest standards of performance.
- L&D stipend that can be used for learning opportunities at your discretion
- Team Lunches & Monthly Events
- The chance to help build from the ground up. The hires we’re making now are foundational to our growth as a company
Things we value, culture-wise:
Grit & Growth. We run towards challenges. If something seems unsolvable, it unleashes our persistence, our creativity, and our ability to move through uncertainty to create a solution.
Simple yet Spektacular. We’re in the early stages of building something really great and that requires a lot of hands on deck and a focus on execution. In this journey, we uncover joy in simplicity, obsess over the experience, pivot quickly and always reach for excellence.
Tenacity. The endless pursuit of customer love! We believe in collaboration, transparency, integrity, trust, listening, doing what is right, and always going above and beyond for our team and customers.
Belonging. We strive to build a company culture inclusive of all voices, differences of opinions, and the permission to be our authentic selves. We accept and celebrate what makes us unique and connects us to one another.
Enjoy the Journey. Love what you do and who you do it with! We embrace joy and kindness and we bring our authentic selves to work each day. We seek to share our optimism and compassion with everyone around us.
About the Team
At Spekit, we strive to be the change we seek. And the change we seek is a wealth of diversity in technology and the workplace. As a company with two female founders, we know that diverse and inclusive cultures drive innovative results. We’ve committed as an organization to elevate underrepresented minorities in technology through awareness, partnerships and even hosting our own scholarships to do our part in changing the status quo. If this sounds like the right place for you, we'd love to chat!