Smartling was founded 14 years ago to make localization and translation seamless. Today, Smartling is profitable and backed by Battery Ventures, a global technology-focused investment firm, supporting company growth and expanding our market share and leadership position. We are the only cloud-based, AI-enabled translation platform that combines a Neural Machine Translation Hub and professional language services empowering teams to collaborate in real-time to create experiences customers love.
As the Commercial Counsel at Smartling, you will play a key role in overseeing the legal aspects of our business relationships, ensuring regulatory compliance and preserving the company's legal interests. Collaborating closely with our leadership and sales teams, you will provide guidance on critical commercial transactions and negotiations, while identifying and mitigating risks related to various agreements. We are looking for a candidate who is a quick learner, self-starter, highly organized, responsive and can work independently.
- Draft, review and negotiate complex business agreements, including customer contracts/renewals, vendor, NDAs, and other commercial agreements
- Ensure that all contracts and agreements comply with relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards
- Manage and timely respond to various legal requests and special projects
- Provide guidance to leadership and other internal teams on legal risks and benefits of specific contracts to the company
- Provide timely and practical legal advice, taking into account the relevant legal issues and risks, agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- Collaborate with the Sales team to support the review and response for RFPs
- Conduct legal research to actively monitor and support Smartling in adapting to evolving regulations and industry standards
- Develop and implement standardized templates and processes for consistency in legal terms and language
- Stay informed of industry-specific regulations to support appropriate risk management strategies
- Assist with any other legal or compliance-related matters, as needed
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school, as well as an active membership/license in good standing in a state bar association
- 4+ years of experience in contract law; drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts and agreements
- Experience working with technology companies highly preferred
- Experience managing workload in a high-pressure environment with competing demands
- Effective communication, and the ability to explain complex legal concepts to non-legal team members
- A proactive, business-minded approach to problem-solving, with a commitment to providing practical legal advice and solutions.
- A home office setup conducive for working remotely, and the ability to work effectively as a remote team member*
- An Analytical Thinker. Analyzing complex situations and making informed decisions
- Self-organized. Can perform well under pressure under tight deadlines with attention to details
- Process Oriented. A strong project manager that emphasizes consistency and efficiency
- Highly communicative. Communicating effectively with all stakeholders
- A Team Player. Ability to work effectively and cross-functionally within all levels of management, both internally and externally
You Will Enjoy
- Freedom 🏡 - we are remote first
- Growth - an opportunity to learn and advance your career
- Wealth 💰 - we offer a competitive salary and 401(k) + company match
- Wellness - medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Balance - flexible PTO + 11 holidays; generous parental leave
- Culture 🤝- an energetic, value-driven, and fun culture and team spirit
- Bonus - employee referral program and apple equipment
Smartling is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, skills, and experiences.
We use E-verify platform for the work authorization verifications.
This position reports to Smartling’s CEO and base compensation may land between $108k-$165k depending on market data, geographic location, skills, qualifications, experience, and level.
*To work from home, you must have a strong internet connection, quiet space, and a professional (distraction and clutter-free) background.