Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Our mission is to make world-class software security available to everyone. This means building program analysis tools that are open source, easy to use, powerful, and fast. It also means building a team with security expertise and a passion for great developer experiences. Most of all, it means working with honesty and respect in a diverse community of dreamers and builders. We’ve redefined static analysis tooling by committing to all of these, and turned our project, Semgrep, into an essential safeguard for code at Snowflake, Dropbox, and more.
About the role
Prior experience in a fast-paced, tech environment is helpful, but we are more interested in your customer and product focus and collaboration skills than your pedigree. So if this opportunity excites you but you don’t meet the exact requirements, apply anyway!
This role is open to 100% remote work as long as you are able to overlap work hours with PST at least 3 hours a day 4 times a week.
What you’ll do
- Work directly with our users to identify where our product succeeds, and where it fails; then rapidly improve it
- Advocate for and develop intuitive, simple, robust APIs that solve a wide variety of complex problems using simple, elegant abstractions
- Adapt Semgrep to work with our users’ diverse ecosystems of code bases, build environments, and security requirements
- Ensure continual, high-availability operation of services using modern site-reliability practices, including participation in an on-call rotation
- Advise and mentor Semgrep engineers via thoughtful code reviews, planning discussions, technical documentation, and formal mentorship
- Help grow our team, by participating in the recruitment and hiring of top engineering talent
You are ideal for this role if you have
- 4+ years of demonstrated experience building web applications
- Excitement about building for customers, learning their needs, iterating fast, and seeing your solutions solve their problems
- Excellent, proactive communication, both verbal and written, including a demonstrated history of crafting thorough, discoverable documentation
- Experience carrying technical projects to completion
- An experimental, data-informed approach to identifying technical requirements; at Semgrep we take a “fail fast” approach, and ship minimally viable work in order to learn quickly
- The ability to work hours compatible with the US west-coast (PST)
- The ability to come into the downtown SF office at least 3 days/week on average
Salary Range: $164,900 - $202,000
Our compensation package includes equity and benefits in addition to salary.
Please note that the range listed is for someone based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
What we offer
Our goal is to competitively and fairly compensate every Semgrep employee with a system that equally rewards those who are vocal and those who are less comfortable making demands during the final steps of the hiring process. To that end, we generate internal compensation bands that are used when discussing and negotiating salaries. We update these based on market data to make sure they’re above the average for comparable roles.
We also invest in our employees’ well-being and long term success with comprehensive health plans, generous vacation time, 401k matching, learning stipends, and more. Our benefits are for everyone, so that you’re taken care of, and we work with individuals to make sure they have what they need, whether that’s quiet work space, adjusted hours, or something else.
Who we are
We have people from France and the Philippines, physics and philosophy, formal methods research and full fledged corporations. We’re new parents and new grads, aspiring authors and aspiring Americans, dog lovers and dogfooders. We get together often to bike, bake, and meet up in parks. In our interactions, we believe respect and honesty go hand in hand, and prioritize both.
Semgrep is an equal-opportunity employer seeking a diverse range of backgrounds. We value who you are — including your cultural heritage, your socioeconomic status, your age, your race, your gender, your sexual orientation, your disabilities. We value what’s vitally important to you — your family, your religion, your politics. We value what you love in this world — your music, your weekend pursuits. We believe in welcoming varied professional backgrounds, educations, and interests. If you’re exceptional in your role, believe in Semgrep’s mission, and treat Semgrep’s values as your own, you belong here.