Director of Design, UX Research, and Content Strategy
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a Director of Design. This role reports to the Head of Product, and supports design, UX research, and content strategy. Collectively, this leader oversees teams that help identify and prioritize customer problems, as well as leading the creative process that solves them. This role is responsible for guiding and leading teams consisting of both direct reports as well as matrixed employees from across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Be the champion for the customer, from identifying their challenges and opportunities in user research, to designing elegant solutions
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to define a lasting vision for the product and set roadmap priorities
- Drive roadmap execution alongside Engineering and Product leadership by marshaling teams via shared objectives, providing clarity, and unblocking the team where needed.
- Build and support an incredible team of designers, UX researchers, and content strategists,, and provide career growth and development opportunities for the team
What You Bring:
- 8+ years of experience as a design lead of commercial software products
- 3+ years of experience managing multidisciplinary teams of 8 or more
- 8+ year experience managing at a technology company that provides software and information products, with a proven record of excellent leadership
- Experience leading teams that have shipped world changing products in a fast paced environment.
- Proven track record of building out a Design function within a software organization
- Excellent grasp of UX best practices, varied methodologies, and tools that empower the team to realize their best work
- Executive presence and ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
- A growth mindset and a desire to learn quickly
- Proven problem-solving skills
- A passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience and fluency with AI productivity tools for design and interest in leaning into new ways of working
- Experience with a B2B and/or B2B2C context with a highly technical product
- Experience building products for developers (API first mentality)
- Experience with cross-continental team coordination and management (e.g., time zone accommodations, cultural differences between locations, etc).
- Experience or familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) concepts and or Remote Sensing.
- Experience with organizational change management
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $165,000 - $271,000. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.