Machine Learning Research Scientist
Healthcare needs good data. At PicnicHealth, we are building deep observational and real-world outcome datasets that fuel cutting-edge research while giving patients control of their own medical record data. These complete, clinically-rich datasets produce unique insights — across dozens of diseases — to ultimately get the right treatments into patients’ hands faster. We do this by working directly with patients and leveraging state of the art machine learning to transform messy medical records into structured, research-ready datasets as a part of a large spectrum of observational studies and drug and disease registries. To date we’ve helped tens of thousands of patients securely access their records and proactively contribute to advancing research in diseases that impact their lives.
Founded in 2014, PicnicHealth partners with 12 of the top 20 biopharma companies and we have raised over $100 million in venture capital from investors including Amplify Partners, Felicis Ventures and B Capital Group.
And we are just getting started! If you are looking to join an award winning, mission-driven, motivated team that is making a real impact across millions of people’s lives, PicnicHealth might just be the place for you.
Machine learning is at the heart of our work and technical strategy. Our company sifts through the messy mountain of data that captures each patient’s care journey in whatever format it exists in the real world. To do that, we’ve built a human-in-the-loop AI/ML pipeline that ingests medical records and scans, converts them into structured data, and then synthesizes them into a form that is directly useful to patients, clinicians, and researchers. This process enables us to build products that improve patient/doctor communication and care decisions, or develop the next generation of data-driven life-sciences studies.
Our Machine Learning team’s goal is to capitalize on the latest technology to both expand our core capabilities and to improve the efficiency with which we process records in our existing pipeline. Our latest strategic initiatives have already begun putting large language models (LLMs) at the heart of our predictive techniques. We are looking for an ML Research Scientist who is fascinated by what it takes to use emerging techniques to solve real business problems today, and what it takes to launch that cutting edge tech into production at scale.
Learn more about our Engineering Team and values here.
As an ML Research Scientist you will:
- Propel the performance of our LLM, specifically tailored for medical records, through cutting edge research and development initiatives
- Develop advanced methods for understanding and evaluating the capabilities and limitations of our LLM
- Survey and incorporate recent advances in AI/ML research into our set of core capabilities
- Share insights and breakthroughs through academic publications, blog posts, and other mediums, showcasing the innovative work conducted by our team
- Help expand a world-class ML team by attracting, interviewing, and onboarding future team members during this exciting time of growth
You are a great fit if you:
- Have a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Have published research in the domain of LLMs
- Are deeply motivated by the potential to improve healthcare by capitalizing on the advances of LLMs
- Have hands-on experience building models in pytorch
- Display a solid understanding of the latest AI/ML research trends and techniques, coupled with a commitment to continual learning and professional growth in these areas.
We expect all team members to be motivated to be amazing in their roles and, ultimately, to move the PicnicHealth mission forward.
Perks & Benefits @PicnicHealth
At PicnicHealth you get to solve real problems with real solutions, great tech, and great people. We look to attract and retain exceptional performers through a mission that matters, a culture that allows team members to do their best work and be their real selves, and through competitive compensation and benefits packages aligned to the market and our Core Values.
We’re a remote first company, with teammates spread across the US. We support in-person gatherings, including co-working spaces and multi-day onsites, to build connections and move forward strategic initiatives. Expect to travel 2-4 times a year. For our team members in the Bay Area, who prefer to work in person we can offer a hybrid set up to work from the SF office on a flexible schedule.
Target Base Salary Range: $180K-$220K
The base salary PicnicHealth offers may vary depending upon the ultimate scope and responsibilities of the position and on the candidate’s job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total package will include equity, in addition to a full range of medical and/or other benefits, depending on the position offered. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
You also get:
- Comprehensive benefits including above market Health, Dental, Vision
- Family friendly environment
- Flexible time off
- 401k plan
- Free PicnicHealth account
- Equipment and internet funds for home office set up
- Wellness Stipend
Equal Opportunity Statement
PicnicHealth is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value a diverse and balanced team where everyone can belong.