Senior Data Engineer
About the Company:
Octave is a modern behavioral health practice creating a new standard for care delivery that’s both high-quality and accessible to more people. With in-person and virtual clinics in California, Connecticut, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Texas, and Washington D.C., the company offers personalized care plans that can include individual, couples, and family therapy, while pioneering relationships with payers to make care more affordable through insurance. By raising the bar on how care is delivered and how providers are supported, we are building a sustainable system that values equity, affordability, and effectiveness. Learn more at www.findoctave.com.
About the Role:
We are seeking a senior level Data Engineer to write high-quality production code and perform as a key contributor to our data platform and ETL pipelines to support the company’s data and insights needs. Octave is a full-stack behavioral health services company: we employ therapists, contract with insurance providers for reimbursing care, and run our own tech stack to support across the business. We are a technology-enabled service provider working to increase access to mental health care for insured people in the US. The team is distributed across the US and has varied backgrounds, from education to fitness, advertising, travel, and healthcare. The role is virtual and reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Build and maintain the data platform using best-in-class technologies (e.g., AWS, Python, Spark, Glue, Redshift, Athena, etc.)
- Create analytic & data processing tools and reporting dashboards utilizing data pipelines to provide insights for operational teams
- Build data extraction jobs from a variety of data sources (relational databases, APIs, FTP sites, etc.)
- Jointly architect a high-dimensional data-warehouse using industry standard data warehousing principles
- Evolve the core data model and schema through business growth
- Maintain high quality data for reporting and analysis through the use of automated testing and data quality validation
- Preferred 5+ years of data engineering experience, with emphasis on building/maintaining data platforms
- Expertise with the Python, PySpark, and the AWS Big Data ecosystem
- Deep knowledge of SQL (preferably PostgreSQL)
- Expertise in building out data pipelines, ETL design (both implementation and maintenance), and data warehousing
- Previous experience working with agile collaborative software development methodology and related tools
- Excellent written, communication, analytical skills, and attention to detail
- Willingness to learn and improve data engineering skills through collaboration with senior engineers
- Architected star or snowflake schema data warehouses
- Experience with basic infra as code technologies for managing infrastructure
- Experience with the Google Cloud and/or BigQuery
- Experience with practical applications of data science and AI/ML concepts and technologies
- Experience with business analytics tools such as Tableau and Looker
Octave's Company Values:
The below values drive our day-to-day operations.
- We’re human beings first. We operate with empathy and kindness – with our clients, with our collaborators, and with ourselves.
- People deserve better than status quo. We’re willing to tackle the intractable problems, no matter how big, because someone should. We ask big questions, we craft big solutions, and we challenge ourselves and others to make it happen.
- No bystanders. No stars. No tourists. Each person has been selected to be here, and with that comes a responsibility to bring your expertise, share your ideas, and help make this company better.
- Partnership paves the path ahead. We don’t operate in a silo, internally or externally. To transform the system, we believe in working with others to create something bigger, better, and stronger.
- Quality is crucial at scale. Quality is core to our business, and we refuse to sacrifice it as we grow.
- Progress is a process. In the pursuit of progress, we iterate, reflect, learn, adjust – and always leave things better than we found them.
- There are people behind every data point. We recognize that numbers tell only one part of the story, and we also do the work to understand impacts at the individual level.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to frequently communicate with others through virtual meeting applications such as Zoom and Google Meet.
- Must be able to observe and communicate information on company provided laptop.
- Move up to 10 pounds on occasion.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future.
Octave is committed to pay equity. To maintain our commitment to pay equity, Octave will follow Pay Transparency regulations on all open job postings. Current Pay Transparency laws require companies to include a position's salary or hourly wage range (not including bonuses or equity-based compensation) in any internal or external job posting. This requirement extends to job postings published by a third party at an employer's request.
Octave will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with Octave’s legal duty to furnish information.
Starting pay for qualified applicants will depend on a combination of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. The expected salary range for this role is set forth below and this range may be modified in the future.
The salary range for this role is $165,000 - $190,000.
Additionally, this position is eligible for the following benefits: company sponsored life insurance, disability and AD&D plans. Voluntary benefits such as 401k retirement, medical, dental, vision, FSA, HSA, dependent care and commuter/parking options are also available. Octave offers generous Paid Time Off as well as paid parental leave benefits.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please complete the following application. Please note that the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Information questions below are used for the purposes of EEOC reporting and are optional to complete. Octave is unable to change these questions and we acknowledge that many of the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Information questions are not inclusive or affirming of all aspects of cultural identity. Octave is committed to an inclusive workplace environment, and this information will not inform how we approach hiring or employment.