Software Engineer, Data Platform
We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
About The Role:
You’ll join a team of talented engineers who will design and own foundational data products that are key to the company’s business and product.
Notion’s data platform and infrastructure are vital to both empowering every team at Notion to make decisions using data, and are increasingly used in our product features, like search, user notifications, workspace analytics and Notion AI.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll work cross-functionally with partners from the Data Science, Data Engineering, AI, Product, Go-to-Market, Legal and Finance organizations to deliver short- and long-term impact
- You’ll help in executing the roadmap for data infrastructure and systems to power high volume product features using Notion’s data.
- You'll play a pivotal role in the development of tools and infrastructure that democratize data access and enable analytics capabilities across the organization
- You'll determine the best ways to handle Notion's unique data model and usage patterns to derive insights and bring intelligence to product features like search and discovery.
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- Team player: For you, work isn't a solo endeavor. You have worked cross-functionally to establish the right overarching data architecture for a company's needs, to build data ingestion (real-time & batch), and to provide guidance on best data practices for the business.
- Data expertise: You have built and managed highly scalable data processing solutions (e.g. Spark, Flink), data lakes or warehouses (e.g. Snowflake, Hive), authored queries (SQL), used workflow management (e.g. Airflow, Luigi), and have experience maintaining the infra that supports these.
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You're comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Pragmatism and impact-orientation: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You're not just going after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Putting users first: You think critically about the implications of what you're building, and how it shapes real people's lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact—good and bad.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
Nice to Haves:
- You've built out data infrastructure from, or nearly from, scratch at a fast-growing startup.
- You've led or managed a Data Engineering / Platform / Infrastructure Team.
- You've owned or managed mission-critical datasets.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation made due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.