Engineering Manager, AI
We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
About The Role:
As the Engineering Manager for our ML team, you'll lead a team of ML engineers to improve the AI capabilities of Notion's product suite. You’ll be collaborating with product, design and other engineering teams to ensure that our AI offerings are high quality and effectively integrated into different aspects of the core product. You’ll be working closely with product, data science and design partners to devise a strategy that brings the most advanced capabilities that LLMs and other ML technologies have to offer our customers.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll build and manage a diverse and inclusive team of ML engineers working to improve Notion’s AI features. You'll create a healthy environment in your team that embodies Notion's values.
- You'll recruit, coach, and develop engineers; you'll ensure engineers are regularly receiving feedback and are making progress on personal and professional goals.
- You'll collaborate closely with cross-functional peers to set the direction of your team, responding and iterating on customer feedback to tune our AI offering.
- You'll facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team.
- You'll keep the team accountable and ensure the team is consistently working on the most important things that deliver value to Notion users.
- You'll be responsible for maintaining a high-quality bar for everything your team builds.
- You'll work with the rest of the Engineering team to shape how Notion's engineering organization works—you'll help develop our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more.
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- You have 2+ years of experience managing ML engineering teams or equivalent. You have a deep understanding for what it takes to solve problems at the intersection of product and ML.
- You have a sufficiently deep background in ML and AI to ask the right questions and think through different tradeoffs that are unique to ML problems, guiding team members to do their best work along the way.
- You create team environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where engineers do their best work.
- You value empathetic and direct communication enabling you to give and receive feedback effectively and create alignment cross-functionally or cross-teams.
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change and are motivated by the ever changing AI landscape. You enjoy jumping into whatever areas need attention and learning as you go.
- You have managed engineering teams at startups before, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- You have experience rolling out engineering and management practices and processes—e.g., code review, performance reviews, and levels and ladders—where they didn't exist before.
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation made due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco, the estimated base salary range for this role is $200,000 - $260,000 per year.