Senior Contracts Manager
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you're excited about a role, we'd love to hear from you!
As a Senior Contracts Manager on the Legal team, you will work closely with the Legal, Compliance, Sales, Client Success, Finance, Deal Desk, Security, and other teams to assist with contract negotiation and contract-related processes. You will be the backbone of the commercial legal team, ensuring smooth and effective contract review and related processes, such as creating legal playbooks, responding to RFPs, managing programmatic changes to the company’s templates, and addressing contracting requests from various stakeholders.
You will drive projects to help the company scale by adding efficiency to the existing processes, act as the primary point of contact for our contracts management system, and spearhead new initiatives. You will collaborate with members of the Legal team and cross-functionally on commercial and administrative matters. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel, Commercial, Product, and Marketing.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You’ll Do
- Assist with negotiation of various deals, including sales, vendor, and partnership deals
- Provide contract administration support to the Legal, Sales, Client Success and other teams, from drafting to execution to archiving to contract renewal
- Review customer and vendor requests and work with internal business partners to fulfill such requests in accordance with company processes and policies
- Contribute to a variety of agreements and legal documents, including user terms, template sales and vendor agreements, and legal translations
- Provide guidance to various internal and external stakeholders on commercial and administrative matters
- Triage commercial legal requests, serve as the internal and external primary point of contact to answer routine questions regarding company’s agreements and policies
- Drive the process for obtaining internal approvals for modifications to standard terms or processes and execute on such modifications as needed
- Contribute to and drive internal process improvements and standard practices, including creating internal legal resources, developing contract management solutions, and improving contracting processes and policies
- Contribute to and improve processes related to pre-sales and post-sales activities such as RFP/RFI processes, security and other questionnaires
- Apply strategic, programmatic, and practical approach to move deals forward
- Be a key stakeholder in conversations with internal partners relating to commercial processes and policies
- Design and conduct internal training regarding contracting and administrative matters
- Collaborate closely with other members of the Legal team to achieve common goals and objectives
- Propose creative ideas as to how the Legal team can support the company as we scale and improve customer experience
Who You Are
- B.A. or B.S. degree; JD is a plus
- 7+ years of combined, relevant experience, including in-house contract negotiation and management; experience with SaaS deals is a plus
- Experience independently supporting customer and vendor-facing commercial deals; excellent drafting skills; excellent communication skills and ability to represent the company in deal negotiations
- Track record of successfully initiating, driving, and implementing processes to increase efficiency of the Legal and other teams
- Experience standing up and managing contract management systems; experience with Ironclad is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment on key decisions in deal negotiation, developing the contracts administration function, and driving cross-functional consensus, including recognizing circumstances that require escalation
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects, build strong relationships with internal stakeholders, develop solutions, and deliver prompt and accurate information
- Strong analytical skills, ability to review legal documents and accurately communicate legal positions internally and externally
- Comfortable managing and prioritizing competing and changing priorities while maintaining close attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness
- Strong written and oral communication skills with a persistent eye toward problem-solving
- Adept at operating in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance
- High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA) option
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Access to coaches and therapists through Modern Health's platform
- Flexible Time Off
- Company-wide Collective Pause Days
- Parental Leave Policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Family Assistance Benefit through UrbanSitter
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial Planning Benefit through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- New Hire Stipend to help cover work-from-home setup costs
- ModSquad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Information
Please refer to the ranges below to find the starting annual pay range for individuals applying to work remotely from the following locations for this role.
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. Ranges are not necessarily indicative of the associated starting pay range in other locations. Full-time employees are also eligible for Modern Health's equity program and incredible benefits package. See our Careers page for more information.
Depending on the scope of the role, some ranges are indicative of On Target Earnings (OTE) and includes both base pay and commission at 100% achievement of established targets.
Below, we are asking you to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). While we are required by law to ask these questions in the format provided by the EEOC, at Modern Health we know that gender is not binary, and we recognize that these categories do not reflect our employees' full range of identities.