Associate Product Designer (Physical Product)
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2023
KiwiCo is an innovative e-commerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. Our core offering is a subscription service. We design and deliver awesome hands-on projects to kids. We also manage an e-commerce storefront and content platform. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. Our office is located in Mountain View, within walking distance to the Caltrain station. Currently, we work a hybrid schedule of Tuesday and Wednesday in-office and remote work the rest of the week.
We’re looking for a product designer to join our Product Design team to help us develop compelling products and experiences for kids and families, from the moment of unboxing to fun and engaging play. You are an independent go-getter, with strong mechanical intuition and a passion for user testing. In this role, you’ll be responsible for leading your own projects, from conception through to a finished product. This includes brainstorming, prototyping, pitching, refining, testing, preparing product specs and sampling. While you will work on your own projects, you’ll have an opportunity to collaborate and get support from the whole Product Design team. In addition to leading your own projects, you will bring leadership to the Product Design team’s kid testing program, helping other designers on the team gain insight from seeing kids play with their prototypes, and helping identify ways to improve our designs to meet our standards for age appropriateness and to make them even more fun.
We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude.
- Experience designing for manufacture: 2+ years designing physical products. Experience with all aspects of the product development process, from conception through to a finished product. You are passionate about the design process and pursue excellence in all aspects.
- Experience with user testing and insights: You are passionate about channeling the voices of the people (kids!) who use our products and identifying ways products should change to better meet their needs and be more engaging. Experience play testing with kids is a plus.
- Strong prototyping skills. You’re a maker at heart and love getting creative with your hands. You are proficient with a range of making tools: laser cutting, 3D printing, hand building, 3D modeling in Solidworks or Fusion360, and others.
- Time management skills and ability to multitask. You will be responsible for prioritizing, organizing, and proactively bringing creative leadership across multiple projects. Effective time management is a must.
- Passionate about kids, creativity, and play. You love kids and the power of hands-on learning and exploration for all ages. You love design that sparks curiosity and engagement.
- Collaboration & communication skills. We work closely with our Operations, Sourcing, Editorial, and Marketing teams. You have exceptional communication skills that allow fluid cross-functional team discussions, projects, and collaborations. A true team player.
- Always learning. We enthusiastically dive into the unknown. You are someone who loves to learn, grow, and push the boundaries of what’s possible.
- Proficient in 3D modeling software (Solidworks or Fusion360)
- Proficient in Adobe Suite
- Bachelor or Masters degree in relevant field (Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, Industrial Design or other)
- 2+ years experience designing products from concept to manufacturing
Please apply by submitting a resume, cover letter, and portfolio telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you.
KiwiCo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at KiwiCo are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.
For the health and safety of our employees, proof of Covid -19 vaccination will be required for all employees who will be at KiwiCo Mountain View. KiwiCo will make reasonable accommodations to this policy for sincerely held religious beliefs and medical reasons on a case-by-case basis. This will not impact the consideration of your candidacy.