Software Engineering Intern (Summer 2024)
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Our engineers work on customer-facing products, developing features and iterating across our platform to bring delightful experiences to our customers, aiding them in driving their business to be successful. You’ll close your laptop at the end of every day knowing your work is making a difference for millions of employees and business owners. If you’re interested in honing your Software Engineering skills while learning and building elegant software with far-reaching effects in our modern economy, come intern with Gusto!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Contribute to project success through technical designing, writing, testing, and shipping code within expected timeframes.
- Learn coding and testing best practices while applying both to the work you do.
- Collaborate and pair with others on the team and cross-functionally including working with Product and Design teams to understand customer pain points, ideate on solutions, and execute plans.
- Understand the world of Gusto, our customers, and why we do what we do.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Students pursuing a BS and/or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related technical field with an expected graduation date between December 2024 and June 2025.
- Passion for creating memorable customer experiences, regardless of which part of the tech stack you work in.
- Interest in technologies such as Ruby/Rails, Typescript/React, GraphQL, and/or Android/iOS.
- Appreciation for an iterative, test-driven, pair-programming, and code-review culture.
- Drive to create a well-structured and maintainable code that balances beauty and pragmatism.
- U.S. work authorization is required. This role is not available for sponsorship.
- This is a hybrid role and will require you to be in the office at least twice a week in our San Francisco or New York office. Relocation and housing assistance will be provided during your internship.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $58.65/hr for undergraduate students and $64.42/hr for graduate students in San Francisco and New York City. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.