Senior Commercial Counsel
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto is seeking a highly experienced transactional attorney to join our dynamic, collaborative Product and Commercial Legal team and lead commercial contract review and negotiation across Gusto’s most strategic initiatives. The right candidate has an excellent track record of collaborating with the business on complex deals, is passionate about building trusted relationships with business and legal stakeholders, and embraces fast-paced change and growth without missing the details.
The Senior Commercial Counsel will play an impactful role in Gusto’s growth as a key partner for business teams across Gusto, with Commercial support spanning vendor relationships, product partnerships, and Gusto’s Infrastructure-as-a-Service products, including Gusto Embedded Payroll. This individual is highly self-motivated, identifies and executes on areas of opportunity for process maturity and scalability, seamlessly manages a high volume of competing priorities and workstreams, and exercises exceptional judgment and interpersonal skills in providing counsel, drafting, negotiating, and managing other business and legal needs.
If this sounds appealing and you shine in a fast-paced environment and thrive on the success of a job well done, let’s chat!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements in support of Gusto Embedded, partnerships, and procurement initiatives, including MSAs/SOWs, SaaS agreements, marketing and referral partnerships, API integrations, data processing agreements, and other commercial contracts.
- Develop trusted relationships as a thought partner to business teams and stakeholders across Embedded, Product, Finance, Security, Risk, Operations, Partnerships, Procurement, and Legal & Compliance
- Understand the key business issues that drive legal and compliance issues, and consistently make commercial legal decisions that support achievement of those business objectives.
- Support and coach sales and partnerships teams on deal structure and contract negotiations.
- Build scalable and effective processes for deal review and negotiations, including through the creation and maintenance of playbooks and other internal resources, contract templates, and trainings.
- Identify and evaluate both business and legal risks, and find creative solutions to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- JD degree and a member of a State Bar/active license to practice law.
- 6+ years of combined legal experience in a technology transactions department at a law firm and an in-house legal department with a high-growth technology company.
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex enterprise SaaS agreements.
- Experience sitting on business leadership teams and/or providing counsel as a strategic partner to senior business leaders.
- Experience supporting and empowering account executives throughout the commercial negotiation process.
- Excellent communicator, strong negotiator and detail oriented drafting skills
- Highly responsive, accountable, growth mindset and service-oriented attitude in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively prioritize and advance several deals simultaneously, often on tight deadlines
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small).
- A collaborative approach and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, cross-functionally, and independently.
- Familiarity working within the highly regulated payments or financial services industries.
- History of supporting highly regulated industries, such as financial services, payroll/tax SaaS, health care, etc.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $182,000 - $214,000/year in Denver, and $213,000 - $250,000/year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.