Director/Senior Director, Structural Biology
Sales & Business Development
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Genesis Therapeutics is seeking a passionate and highly motivated leader to build and lead our structural biology team and capabilities, integrate structural biology into our discovery platform and contribute to our growing portfolio. The successful candidate will be an accomplished drug hunter and have utilized state-of-the art expertise in X-Ray crystallography and CryoEM, driving discovery programs with structural information. The position will require active collaboration with the biology, chemistry, computational and AI/ML engineering teams to build strategic directions for the platform and portfolio.
- Build internal structural biology capabilities and infrastructure appropriate to support internal programs.
- Develop and implement external innovation strategies to enhance structural biology approaches through CROs and academic partnerships to advance the internal portfolio and complement internal capabilities.
- Provide expertise in the protein-small molecule compound complex structure determination as an essential component of structure-based drug design efforts and platform evolution.
- Work with other drug discovery disciplines (biology, DMPK, software engineers, computational chemists) to drive hypothesis driven decisions, improve the platform and contribute to the scientific excellence of the company.
- As an integral member of project/core teams, contribute to the strategic scientific direction of program.
- Stay scientifically cutting edge and identify emerging science to advance the portfolio and educate other colleagues.
- Be a scientific leader and mentor.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, crystallography, or relevant structural biology degree with at least 12 years of industrial drug discovery experience
- Strong track record and reputation in structural biology via publications, patents and/or successfully progressing drug discovery programs through structural insight
Skills and Knowledge required:
- Technical expertise in protein production, purification and X-ray crystallography/cryo-EM
- Deep understanding of the characterization of protein-ligand interactions by biophysical methods. Strong working knowledge of techniques such as ITC, SPR, TSA, MST, etc.
- Experience with fragment screening and crystallization would be a strong plus
- Demonstrated excellence in structural biology supported by publication in top tier journals
- Ability to manage external CRO resources effectively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, both in informal team settings as well as professional presentations.
- Motivated team player with strong critical thinking skills, a high degree of independence, strong creative problem-solving skills and ability to adapt to project changes.
What we offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Stock Option Eligibility
- 401(k) Plan
- Open PTO Policy
- Paid Company Holidays
- Free lunch and snacks at our offices
- Health Care Plan, including Medical, Dental, and Vision, fully covered for the employees
Genesis Therapeutics is unifying AI and biotech to discover novel and breakthrough treatments for patients with severe and devastating conditions. Genesis was founded on groundbreaking molecular ML research and since has established itself as the industry leader in AI for small molecule drug discovery. Our team of accomplished biotech leaders and expert drug hunters joins forces with deep learning researchers and software engineers who are pioneering predictive and generative AI technologies for molecules.
Our team has created the industry's most advanced molecular AI platform called GEMS (Genesis Exploration of Molecular Space), to accelerate and optimize small molecule drug discovery and to enable the discovery of novel first-in-class and best-in-class small molecule drugs for challenging and/or undruggable targets.
The company has leveraged GEMS to build an internal pipeline with multiple programs against high-value targets, including data-poor and canonically undruggable targets where GEMS is uniquely advantaged. In addition, Genesis has two AI platform collaborations across a range of therapeutic areas: Eli Lilly (signed in 2022, with a $20M upfront payment and a $670M total deal size), and Genentech (signed in 2020).
We raised a $200M series B in August 2023, and have raised over $280M in funding from top technology and biotech investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, Rock Springs Capital, T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, Radical Ventures, NVentures (NVIDIA's VC arm), BlackRock, and Menlo Ventures.
Genesis is headquartered in Burlingame, CA, with a fully integrated laboratory in San Diego. We are proud to be an inclusive workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.