Staff Software Engineer, FinTech
Help us build the future of Flexport’s FinTech platform
Flexport’s FinTech business consists of Flexport Capital, which provides working capital financing to brands, and Flexport Insurance, which insures client’s goods while they are transported across the globe. Both products have proven business models and are focused on building scalable infrastructure to support rapid growth. We are seeking a talented staff software engineer to join our team to refactor our existing systems and lay the foundation for a best in class platform. This is a unique opportunity to join a company that is not only pushing the boundaries of the logistics industry but also shaping the future of trade financing. Join us now and be a part of a team that is making a real impact in the industry.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will work on designing, developing, and maintaining our insurance and lending platforms. You will collaborate with a highly skilled and passionate team to bring new features and functionality to market and drive our platform to new heights.
- Craft the architectural strategy, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade
- Take point on working closely with business partners to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solution and run them to completion with minimal supervision
- Design systems and domain models that represent the real-world intricacies of insurance, lending and trade finance
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day
- You play a significant role in the career development of others, actively mentoring and educating the larger software engineering community on trends, technologies, and best practices
- Model business processes for insurance; expanding the type of insurance products we can sell, how we quote, insure and handle client claims
- Model business processes for lending; underwriting a customer, approving, originating and servicing loans to managing our loan portfolio
- Drive data accuracy architecture and improvement loops through various subsystems
What you’ll build:
- Take point on complex product initiatives and run them to completion with minimal supervision
- Simplify inefficient manual processes and replace them with efficient technology solutions
- Real time risk engines that will enable end to end automation of the lending and insurance lifecycle
- Deliver business insights to our Insurance and Capital business via a world-class analytics experience
- Bring trade to everyone in the world
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Knowledge of at least one programming language such as Ruby, Java, or Kotlin
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with building software for the InsurTech or FinTech domain
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, executive leaders, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior and senior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
Something looks off?