VP Government Relations and Public Policy
As one of the first pioneers of earned wage access, our passion at EarnIn is building products that deliver real time financial flexibility for those with the unique needs of living paycheck to paycheck. Our community members access their earnings as they earn them, with options to spend, save, and grow their money without mandatory fees, interest rates, or credit checks. Since our founding, our app has been downloaded over 13M times and we have provided access to $15 billion in earnings.
We’re fortunate to have an incredibly experienced leadership team, combined with world-class funding partners like A16Z, Matrix Partners, DST, Ribbit Capital, and a very healthy core business with a tremendous runway. We’re growing fast and are excited to continue bringing world class talent onboard to help shape the next chapter of our growth journey.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $225,000 - $415,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location.
This is a remote position.
Are you a leader and Government Relations/Public Policy professional who is passionate about broad-based, multi-faceted strategic outreach and engagement with policymakers, elected leaders, regulatory agency officials, and community stakeholders? Do you thrive working with company executives and a team dedicated to successfully connecting, engaging, informing, inspiring, and empowering people to work together to find common ground and advance the common good? If that sounds like you, EarnIn, located in Palo Alto, California, is looking for you to be our new VP Government Relations and Public Policy. Reporting to the General Counsel, you will work closely with EarnIn’s CEO, the Legal team, the Chief Marketing Officer, and internal stakeholders. You will lead a team of government relations professionals to support and advocate for our community members in seeking to work constructively with state and Federal elected officials and regulators to protect consumers’ interests while supporting innovation and access to the financial system.
What You'll Do:
- Own the Government Relations and Public Policy function
- Direct, manage and coordinate national programs, state programs, and the government relations team
- Ensure that work assignments, workflow, and tactical operational activities are appropriate and properly executed
- Provide expertise and services needed to successfully navigate public policy challenges
- Direct political engagement based on data-driven analyses
- Work collaboratively with senior management to support and advance the company’s efforts to increase visibility and impact with policymakers, regulators, community partners, consumers, and other allies in seeking to advance our community members’ interests
- Work with trade associations
- Lead lobbying efforts, working with lobbyists in implementing a lobbying strategy, both proactive and responsive
- Work with our research team and others to collect and analyze data to create new knowledge and insights to help guide our educational efforts
- Curate the work of consultants, other entities, and organizations to provide Federal and state officials relevant information
- Serve as a mentor and manager to our GR staff and foster a professionally satisfying work culture.
- Develop positive relationships with state and Federal elected officials and regulators
- Prepare communications to and for key stakeholders in support of the government relations agenda
- Manage budgets proficiently
- Comply with all applicable policies, regulations and laws regarding the solicitation, acceptance, and expenditure of funds and ensure compliance by others with campaign finance and other laws related to government relations
- Serve as an informed and engaging ambassador for EarnIn to all stakeholders and our community members
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree required in Political Science, Public Policy, or a relevant field of study
- 10+ years of directly relevant professional work experience
- Understanding of legislative, congressional, and regulatory processes and procedures
- A strategic, execution-oriented mindset, balanced with a collaborative and people-centric approach
- A demonstrated commitment to open, honest, and direct communication
- Ability to draft, read, analyze, and interpret complex documents, including legislation and regulations
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations to lawmakers, regulators, and internal stakeholders, including synthesizing and summarizing research findings and policy recommendations
- Ability to effectively engage with a wide variety of internal and external groups and diverse constituencies and stakeholders
- A strong management and team-building background
- A proactive self-starter with exceptional strategic, problem-solving, advocacy, facilitation, and critical thinking skills
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working in government as State legislative, Congressional, or executive branch staff
- Experience working in government relations for a nonpartisan policy center, think tank, or other non-profit organization
- Experience in financial technology policy issues, strongly preferred
- Experience working with teams across offices and time zones
- A graduate-level degree (MBA and/or Juris Doctor)
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. We're eager to meet people that believe in EarnIn’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.