Senior People Scientist
Join us on our mission to make a better world of work.
Culture Amp revolutionizes how over 25 million employees across 6,000 companies create a better world of work. As the global platform leader for employee experience, Culture Amp empowers companies of all sizes and industries to transform employee engagement, develop high performing teams, and retain talent via cutting-edge research, powerful technology, and the largest employee dataset in the world. The most innovative companies across the globe, such as Salesforce, PwC, KIND, SoulCycle, Celonis and BigCommerce depend on Culture Amp every day.
Culture Amp is backed by 10 years of innovation, leading capital venture funds, and offices in the U.S, U.K, Germany and Australia. Culture Amp is recognized as one of the world’s top private cloud companies by Forbes and one of the most innovative workplace companies by Fast Company.
Learn more about how Culture Amp can help you create a better world of work at cultureamp.com.
Please note, we are only considering candidates who are within a commutable distance to our San Francisco office. Fully remote applications will not be considered at this time.
The People Scientist role entails being a thought leader in the HR and engagement space while assisting customers with survey question design, analyzing survey results, performance management processes, communication approaches, and feedback strategies for our customers at the organization, group, and individual level. People scientists work directly with current and prospective customers to explain the science behind measuring and improving employee engagement and performance management processes using Culture Amp’s platform. Our ideal candidates will be able to present their expertise on both the academic and applied study of today’s workforce in personable and engaging ways that align with both educational partnerships and sales relationships.
Your greatest skill is being able to listen and understand our customers’ needs and provide clarity around direction and strategy. You love empowering people and your passion lies in diving into data to uncover stories and provide insights, as well as imparting knowledge to up-skill customers and coworkers. We are looking for an energetic, dedicated, and collaborative professional to work with a close-knit customer team that takes users all the way from leads to champions across customers ranging in size from tens to tens of thousands of employees. We want someone who shares our passion for simplifying people analytics and performance management, teaching clients to draw insights from data on their own, and building our community of amazing people geeks. This position is for a mid- to senior-level role with no direct reports working with customers based in either the Pacific Time Zone and within a commutable distance to Culture Amp’s San Francisco office.
We asked some of our People Scientists what they love about their work, and here are a few things you can look forward to:
- You’ll get to flex your expertise around all aspects of work behavior. Culture Amp is the full Employee Experience Platform, so you’ll coach managers and executives through things like onboarding, engagement, performance, development, team dynamics, and diversity and inclusion.
- You’ll embody a true scientist-practitioner model. At Culture Amp, our work is grounded in scientific and methodological rigor, and our recommendations are informed by the latest applied and academic literature combined with the practical context of organizational life.
- You’ll be relied upon as a subject matter expert when working with customers and Camper colleagues alike. Our People Scientists are great at explaining things, but they enjoy puzzles too. Our curiosity motivates us to go find answers, and we’ve got plenty of data to test hypotheses!
- You’ll present thought leadership combining your domain expertise with your experience to educate the public on industry trends and the evolving nature of work. Our People Scientists frequently present this thought leadership at in-person and virtual events.
- Collaborate with customers (pre-sale and post-sale) to design and build people-centric feedback and performance management strategies
- Contribute to survey question design sessions and lead results review sessions with a variety of clients, from including HR professionals and C-suite teams within larger and smaller businesses
- Work with client data and survey outcomes to identify the most valuable themes and stories to help our clients improve their culture and business outcomes
- Generate actionable and predictive insights from HR data sets, including engagement surveys, lifecycle surveys (onboarding to exit), and individual/team effectiveness feedback
- Coach clients on aligning business strategy with performance management and employee feedback approaches using the Culture Amp platform
- Support and build domain expertise for our customer facing teams through coaching and training
- Contribute to improving internal processes and culture within Culture Amp
- Contribute to internal and external thought leadership on HR issues in a variety of industries and regions
- Present HR analytics research, client survey results and training masterclasses to HR leaders, executive teams, and prospective Culture Amp clients. This includes virtually and in person, with travel comprising up to approximately 33% of the role.
- Experience working in a high growth, global SaaS company and in HR Tech preferred
What do you (ideally) bring to the team?
- Master’s or PhD in Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Organizational Development, HR/Business Analytics or related field
- 3+ years of applied experience working within an HR or People team (e.g. people analytics, I/O Psychology, Organizational Development role) at an organization and/or strategic consulting to organizations. Enterprise experience is highly preferred
- At least 2 years of applied experience designing, implementing, and analyzing surveys throughout the employee lifecycle (candidate, onboarding, engagement, inclusion, exit) and/or 360-type feedback processes
- Experience working with and/or implementing any one of the following processes:
- Performance management
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Change management
- Experience designing, implementing and analyzing surveys, as well as presenting results to executives and HR leaders
- Strong presentation, interpersonal, and communication skills especially when explaining data, quickly identifying the story within the data, building meaningful narratives, and connecting it to potential actions
- Basic knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages such as R or SPSS; moderate knowledge of statistics and basic knowledge of predictive analytics techniques preferred
- And proficiency in the usual software tools (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite, Keynote, Google docs) as well as a willingness to learn and work with new technology systems.
After 3 months you’ll:
- Work cross-functionally to teach new customers how to use the platform
- Assist our Sales & Customer Success teams in closing deals, launching, retaining, and expanding customers
- Advise HR leaders and executive teams on their employee engagement & effectiveness strategies to create change within their organizations
- Conduct survey design sessions, train customers on how to best interpret their results, and present the results to HR leaders, executives teams, and other leaders
- Assist our internal teams to develop action-oriented and compelling thought leadership for our blog, newsletters, and social media, webinars, and presentations based on leading science
- Attend and present at a variety of events where we interact with our community – including People Geekup webinars, masterclasses, conferences, etc.
A few highlights from Culture Amp
If you are truly excited about this role and meet the requirements mentioned above, please submit: 1) your resume, and 2) a cover letter which identifies five specific reasons why you feel you’d be a great addition to our team (optional). Thank you very much for your time and interest!
We already have over 1,000 amazing Campers and we want to continue to attract exceptional people who are motivated by our mission. Our approach to compensation aligns with this value. We believe in fair & equitable pay at Culture Amp, and therefore, we build pay equity into all our programs in addition to conducting annual pay equity audits.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is listed below. The range is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual skills, capabilities and experience, objectively assessed during the interview process.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package will include additional components such as equity and benefits. For sales roles, your package may also include sales commission. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Thank you for taking the time to read this advert. If you decide to apply, as part of your application, we will ask you to complete voluntary diversity questions (excluding Germany). Please watch this video from our amazing DEI Leader, Aubrey Blanche to share more on why we collect the data and how we will use it.