Insurance Operations Lead
Insurance Operations Lead
Counterpart is a management liability insurance platform for the 21st century workplace. We offer products and services to help companies align the risks and incentives of creating great organizations. Our platform is designed to measure risk more efficiently using the most advanced rating system in the industry, while also proactively mitigating the risks of our insureds. Ultimately, we provide businesses with frameworks to be the best versions of themselves. That’s where you come in.
As an early member of the team, you will be one of the primary owners and architects of our insurance products. You will drive the development of our rating manual, underwriting guidelines, and portfolio management strategy for new and existing coverages in order to unlock new opportunities for revenue and profitability. This will require close collaboration with the underwriting, operations, data, and engineering teams, along with our partners, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Shape the future of the company by owning the process to develop, distribute, and iterate on our insurance products.
- Create the insurance product roadmap & budget by assessing market demand and our business goals.
- Facilitate development of the forms, applications, rates, and guidelines required to launch new insurance products in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Validate product market fit of existing and new product offerings with our distribution and capacity partners to ensure successful product adoption.
- Collaborate with marketing and business development teams to build and execute the distribution strategy for new insurance products.
- Monitor and analyze the growth & loss performance of our insurance products and appetite segments to identify trends, opportunities, and areas for improvement.
- Continually iterate on our insurance products to exceed budget expectations.
- Develop a deep understanding of competitor product offerings to influence our insurance product development and marketing strategy.
- Minimum of 8+ years of experience with operations or product management.
- Understanding of commercial lines distribution channels (direct, retail, wholesale).
- Understanding of the mechanics and key drivers of business insurance from coverage, rates, and claims.
- History of managing successful product launches from the idea to development stages.
- Ability to conduct sophisticated and creative analysis of complex data and translate the results into actionable insights and deliverables.
- Impeccable organizational skills and experience documenting processes.
- Highly effective communication skills with the ability to convey complex topics to internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills, including the ability to work with a diverse team and drive change across functional and business boundaries.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Tanner Hackett, CEO & Founder: Having founded two other major startups, including Button and Lazada, Tanner now spends his time focused on mental health through his philanthropy, Openminded.org, in addition to reading, surfing, yoga, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Mike Levins, Head of Insurance: Mike previously was the Head of Broker Relations and US MGA Operations at Hiscox. Mike oversaw the Midwest region with ~20 underwriters offering 13 different product lines, the primary lines being management liability, professional liability, and cyber/technology. His extensive insurance career has afforded Mike strong relationships across hundreds of retail and wholesale brokers. Mike received his BS from Marquette University and MBA from Benedictine University.
- Claudette Kellner, Director of Insurance Products: Claudette has over 25 years of experience in the specialty insurance market previously holding various underwriting, product leadership and management positions with leading global insurers. Prior to joining Counterpart, Claudette was Vice President at Berkley Management Protection where she created and led all management liability product and underwriting strategy.
- Chris Shafer, Chief of Staff: Chris is a published scientific author, having studied the neural correlates of gratitude at the lauded Brain and Creativity Institute. He has since helped to launch numerous businesses in which he held a variety of critical roles from product management to business operations to strategic partnerships. Chris received his bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from the University of Southern California.
- Emad ElShawa, VP of Growth: As the former Chief of Staff and early team member at Fundbox- Emad led all Business Operations functions and helped scale the company to over $160M in annual recurring revenue. A small business owner himself, Emad knows the inefficiencies that plague the small business economy first hand and has dedicated his career to building products and businesses to help address them.
- Tobias Schuler, Head of Data Analytics: After becoming a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society and working as a consultant actuary at EY for several years, Tobias went on to drive the actuarial data & systems teams at QBE. He further leveraged his deep insurance and technical expertise at Munich Re Digital Partners in North America, where he headed data and analytics and oversaw the data infrastructure behind some of their largest programs.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unlimited Vacation: We offer flexible time off, allowing you to take time when you need it.
- Work from Anywhere: Counterpart is a fully distributed company, meaning there is no office. We allow employees to work from wherever they do their best work, and invite the team to meet in person a couple times per year.
- Stock Options
- Health, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Parental Leave
- Home Office Allowance: to set up your home office with the necessary equipment and accessories.
- Book stipend
- Professional Development Reimbursement
- No working birthdays: Take your birthday off, giving you the opportunity to relax, enjoy your special day, and spend time with loved ones.
- Charitable Contribution Matching
- Conjoin Expectations - it is the cornerstone of autonomy. Ensure you are aware of what is expected of you and clearly articulate what you expect of others.
- Speak Boldly & Honestly - the only failure is not learning from mistakes. Don’t cheat yourself and your colleagues of the feedback needed when expectations aren’t being met.
- Be Entrepreneurial - control your own destiny. Embrace action over perfection while navigating any obstacles that stand in the way of your ultimate goal.
- Practice Omotenashi (“selfless hospitality”) - trust will follow. Consider every interaction with internal and external partners an opportunity to develop trust by going above and beyond what is expected.
- Hold Nothing As Sacred - create routines but modify them routinely. Take the time to reflect on where the business is today, where it needs to go, and what you have to change in order to get there.
- Prioritize Wellness - some things should never be sacrificed. We create an environment that stretches everyone to grow and improve, which is fulfilling, but is only one part of a meaningful life.
We are committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.