Counterpart is a management liability insurance platform for the 21st century workplace. We offer products and services to help companies align the risks and incentives of creating great organizations. Our platform is designed to measure risk more efficiently using the most advanced rating system in the industry, while also proactively mitigating the risks of our insureds. Ultimately, we provide businesses with frameworks to be the best versions of themselves. That’s where you come in.
As an early member of the Claims team, you will be one of the initial users of, and key feedback providers for, our active claims management processes and systems. Your input will help to shape and improve how we fulfill our mission of providing world-class service through tightly managing legal costs, making data-driven decisions when analyzing a claim’s value, and ensuring that other potentially responsible parties pay their fair share. This will necessitate close collaboration with Claims leadership, our internal Data and Engineering teams, and our carrier partners.
- Complete accurate and timely investigations into the coverage, liability, and damages for each claim assigned to you.
- Actively manage each claim assigned to you in a way that produces the most timely and cost-effective resolution.
- Build and maintain positive and productive working relationships with internal and external customers, including policyholders, brokers, carrier partners, and Risk Engineers.
- Direct and monitor assignments to experts and outside counsel, and hold those vendors accountable for meeting or exceeding our service standards.
- Support our data collection efforts and models by effectively using the Counterpart claim system to fully and accurately capture critical details about each claim assigned to you.
- Identify and escalate insights into emerging claims trends across industries, geographies, and key business segments.
- Offer user-level feedback and insights to support the continuous improvement of our claim handling processes, guidelines, and systems.
- Ensure that every touchpoint with our insureds and brokers is representative of our brand, mission, and vision.
- At least 3 years of professional experience, with at least 2 years of experience litigating or managing claims in one or more of the following areas:
- Employment Practices Liability
- Miscellaneous Professional Liability
- Directors and Officers Liability
- Errors and Omissions Liability
- Previous carrier or broker experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required; law degree (J.D.) and professional designations (RPLU, AIC, etc.) highly preferred.
- Must possess all required state claim adjuster licenses, or be able to obtain them within 90 days of hire.
- Proven ability to work both independently on complex matters and collaboratively as a team player to assist others as needed.
- High level of personal initiative and leadership skills.
- Exceptional time management, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Comfort and skill operating in a paperless claims environment and using Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, etc.). Additional familiarity with Google Docs Editors suite is a plus.
- Willingness to use creative thinking and data-driven insights to overcome obstacles to resolution.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to succeed in a full remote workplace environment, and travel as necessary (approximately 10-15%).
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Eric Marler, Head of Claims: An industry veteran, Eric has more than 20 years of experience working with or for insurers offering management liability solutions. He is a licensed attorney who began his career in private practice before transitioning in-house. Prior to joining Counterpart, Eric held leadership roles at Great American Insurance Group and The Hanover Insurance Group.
- Mike Levins, Head of Insurance: Mike previously was the Head of Broker Relations and US MGA Operations at Hiscox. Mike oversaw the Midwest region with ~20 underwriters offering 13 different product lines, the primary lines being management liability, professional liability, and cyber/technology. His extensive insurance career has afforded Mike strong relationships across hundreds of retail and wholesale brokers. Mike received his BS from Marquette University and MBA from Benedictine University.
- Tobias Schuler, Head of Data Analytics: After becoming a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society and working as a consultant actuary at EY for several years, Tobias went on to drive the actuarial data & systems teams at QBE. He further leveraged his deep insurance and technical expertise at Munich Re Digital Partners in North America, where he headed data and analytics and oversaw the data infrastructure behind some of their largest programs.
- Chris Shafer, Special Projects: Chris is a published scientific author, having studied the neural correlates of gratitude at the lauded Brain and Creativity Institute. He has since helped to launch numerous businesses in which he held a variety of critical roles from product management to business operations to strategic partnerships. Chris received his bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from the University of Southern California.
- Tanner Hackett, CEO & Founder: Having founded two other major startups, including Button and Lazada, Tanner now spends his time focused on mental health through his philanthropy, Openminded.org, in addition to reading, surfing, yoga, and enjoying the outdoors.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unlimited Vacation: We offer flexible time off, allowing you to take time when you need it.
- Work from Anywhere: Counterpart is a fully distributed company, meaning there is no office. We allow employees to work from wherever they do their best work, and invite the team to meet in person a couple times per year.
- Stock Options
- Health, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Parental Leave
- Home Office Allowance: to set up your home office with the necessary equipment and accessories.
- Book stipend
- Professional Development Reimbursement
- No working birthdays: Take your birthday off, giving you the opportunity to relax, enjoy your special day, and spend time with loved ones.
- Charitable Contribution Matching
- Conjoin Expectations - it is the cornerstone of autonomy. Ensure you are aware of what is expected of you and clearly articulate what you expect of others.
- Speak Boldly & Honestly - the only failure is not learning from mistakes. Don’t cheat yourself and your colleagues of the feedback needed when expectations aren’t being met.
- Be Entrepreneurial - control your own destiny. Embrace action over perfection while navigating any obstacles that stand in the way of your ultimate goal.
- Practice Omotenashi (“selfless hospitality”) - trust will follow. Consider every interaction with internal and external partners an opportunity to develop trust by going above and beyond what is expected.
- Hold Nothing As Sacred - create routines but modify them routinely. Take the time to reflect on where the business is today, where it needs to go, and what you have to change in order to get there.
- Prioritize Wellness - some things should never be sacrificed. We create an environment that stretches everyone to grow and improve, which is fulfilling, but is only one part of a meaningful life.
Counterpart is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.