Engineering Manager - Video Tech (AI/ML)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Data Science
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Team
Video is more popular than ever in 2023, and we're on a mission to make Canva Video the default video platform for everyone. The Video Tech team play a key role expanding the capability of our video product, and bringing "magic" (AI/ML) features to help empower the world design great videos. For example, we recently built and launched "Beat Sync" to a global audience at Canva Create, allowing our users to "magically" (through AI/ML) sync their video to music.
Join us as the Video Tech Engineering Manager, leading a cross specialty team to explore and deliver engineering options for moving AI/ML features to our users.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Mentor a team of engineers across both Frontend and Machine Learning specialties to empower them to do their best work and help them grow
- Balance research and exploration with shipping ‘wow’ features; both need to happen in tandem (this means thinking long-term as well as how to get stuff done now)
- Coordinate with other Canva teams, particularly with Backend teams and the Machine Learning platform squad to set projects up for success and avoid/remove roadblocks
- Collaborate with our Video Product Manager and Designer to build roadmaps and goals for new features
- Lead initiatives in the ML/AI space for Video, including being involved in architecting new systems for implementing cross-platform AI solutions
- Monitor performance and reliability of the video product
- Review PRs, help engineers debug code and jump in to solve problems as required
You're probably match if you have
- Proven success as a software engineering manager leading frontend engineers and machine learning engineers
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer - in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles; comfortable contributing to design documents and performing code reviews
- Experience in machine learning or leading ML teams
- Thrive in working collaboratively with engineering, product and design groups with a strong focus on delivery
- Video experience would be beneficial, though not necessary
Come lead the team to deliver more Canva 'magic' through AI/ML features for our Canva Video users.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
See more open positions at Canva
Something looks off?