Legal Counsel, Product & Privacy
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the team
Canva is seeking a Privacy and Product Counsel who will support privacy and product counseling across the Canva business. The role will report into the Lead Counsel, Product within the Privacy and Product Team and you will have the opportunity to learn from other experienced Privacy and Product counsels and advise across all groups and products as you learn the Canva business.
Challenged to look at the big picture to find innovative processes and product changes to drive product compliance in a fast-paced, growth focussed environment. You will be encouraged to understand not just what the law says, but also industry and enforcement trends. You’ll help Canva see around corners to prepare for upcoming regulatory changes and influence how the business responds to those changes.
You’ll work to ensure Canva’s newest products continue to delight our customers and meet our goals, whilst also keeping users safe and meeting community and regulator expectations.
What you'll do
- Assist with data privacy incidents (we have an on-call roster)
- Advise on Privacy Impact Assessments, Jira tickets and queries to our privacy channel
- Support with training and awareness initiatives
- Drafting terms and disclaimers for new product launches, special offers and in product messaging
- Monitor the regulatory landscape on laws applicable to the risks associated with product launches, including privacy, spam, consumer protection and content moderation laws
- Be the eyes and ears for the legal team and refer out matters to other legal specialities where required, including employment, commercial and intellectual property specialists
- Advising on data processing agreements with vendors, due diligence and high risk Transfer Impact Assessments
- Partner with the Data, Security, Product and Engineering Group Leads to drive privacy goals forward with alignment and support
We'd love it if you had
- Hands-on experience in product and privacy counselling, this would make for a great first move for someone currently within a Legal Practice environment
- You have a keen interest in further specialising to forge a career in these areas of practice; comfortable dealing with uncertain, ambiguous and dynamic environments.
- Able to influence stakeholders to prioritise compliance and have experience doing this with leaders and stakeholders across product, engineering and marketing.
- Focussed on delivering projects even where this calls for you to go beyond the role of legal advisor and you’re not afraid to hustle other teams and individuals to get things done.
- Experienced in collaborating with the legal team, engineering, product and marketing teams.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
See more open positions at Canva
Something looks off?