Staff Software Engineer - Frontend - Performance Platform (Open to Remote across ANZ)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Team
Performance is important to us at Canva. We want to be the fastest graphical design tool in the world. The Performance Platform group is set to achieve this mission. We tackle the culture of building performance in multiple areas: we make it easy to measure and analyse performance issues, we improve our architecture to make performance easy to achieve, and we build robust patterns to allow building features with performance by default.
The Performance Monitoring team is responsible for the first area: making it easy to measure and analyse performance issues. We are engineers with a passion for performance, helping other engineers to build performant features together, and understanding teams' motivations and blockers for building a fast product so we know how to scale the culture of performance.
About the Role
We are building a performance culture in Canva. To do that, we are looking for engineers with an interest in performance, how to debug and measure, and changing the way we work to develop features that are performant by default.
We are building tools to prevent performance regressions and measure real world performance. You will be helping us explore new ways to make the tool more effective. Your work would be getting more useful insights to show how performance issues affect us, finding engineering best practices and communicating how to use them across the company, building tools to make sure the codes we write are up to our performance standards, and being the performance evangelist in the company alongside the rest of the team.
What you’ll do
- Working with performance profiling and debugging tools in your web browser of choice. These are tools such as Chrome DevTools, Lighthouse, WebPageTest, and others.
- Harnessing the performance data we collect from real users or from synthetic monitoring applications to find areas where we can improve performance for the user experience.
- Building and maintaining tools we use to test performance in our builds, tools to give feedback on performance regressions in pull requests, and tools to measure real user performance metrics.
- Collaborating with the team and other engineers outside the team to find issues in the whole product and communicate clear action items. Empowering other engineers is one of our core values.
We'd love to hear from you if you fit one or more of these:
- You are a fan of solving performance issues and know how to debug and propose solutions ranging from a practical quick fix to a standardised change to roll out across the company.
- You understand the reasons behind why every performance metrics are different and how it relates to the user experience.
- You know how to measure performance from synthetic measurements to collecting real user performance metrics.
- You have experience in creating a system for automated performance testing and know how to effectively fit this into a developer’s workflow.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
See more open positions at Canva
Something looks off?