Trust & Safety Operations Specialist (Tier 2)
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2022
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia, but with many of our Canvanauts calling the Philippines home, our office in Manila is a buzzing place. Whether your role needs you in the office, at home or a bit of both, we've created an environment that truly empowers you to thrive.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Group
At Canva, we empower the world to design. People only create in places they trust, and the Trust & Safety (T&S) Group vision is that Canva is the world’s most trusted platform for safe design. In our mission to safeguard our community, we work with a lot of efforts to prevent and mitigate incidents that could compromise the trust people have in Canva, from adult content to child abuse material, misinformation to hate speech, phishing, spam, bots, account takeovers, and other abuse vectors.
Abusive content and behaviour is not only directly against our values, it hurts our business as well. We create crucial detection, review, and moderation services to understand and address Canva’s complex and changing world. Some of the biggest changes we need to address are the continuously growing international user base, content and usage types, new features, regulatory requirements, and evolving abuse vectors.
About the role
The position requires efficient review skills, experience in Trust & Safety (T&S) / abuse mitigation operations, high attention to detail, and the ability to problem solve and give feedback to continue improving our T&S policies and tools. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about maintaining high standards in content review, moderation, and process knowledge.
What you’ll do...
- Implement Trust & Safety Policy, including Content Moderation, handling incidents, escalations, appeals, and quality assurance for outsourced staff.
- Refine T&S Content Moderation enforcement guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOP) to improve impact, such as in efficient task handling.
- Operate and refine moderation systems and processes, working in close collaboration with T&S engineering as their primary user
- Collaborate with your team and others to thrive towards operational excellence to ensure Canva is the most trusted company for safe design.
- Ensure Canva’s values and policies are consistently applied in the moderation of user-generated content, Canva’s content library.
- Build a deep understanding of the current content moderation process and other T&S challenges by working with Product and T&S leaders to understand existing issues and escalation points.
- Be an escalation point for all T&S incidents, appeals, and investigations including user and government reports.
- Collaborate with other content review and customer engagement teams to share strategies and standard processes, and minimise duplication.
- Develop thinking and analyzing of moderation decisions through multiple lenses and understanding the ambiguity and nuances of guidelines.
You will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes.
- We are looking for an analyst who will help us ensure that content made with Canva is safe by applying and improving our T&S standards and enforcement processes. We’d love to see:
- Proven experience in content moderation, content inspection, abuse management, or review, having an understanding of guidelines, enforcement and operations.
- Passion for defending users from harassment, misinformation, inauthentic behaviour, platform abuse and other abuse vectors.
- Experience crafting and/or implementing T&S or moderation enforcement guidelines, with the ability to not only contribute operational best practices, but support a culture of continuous improvement
- An innovator who is willing to roll up their sleeves and get into the weeds.
- Ability to proactively unblock others with an improvement-focused approach.
- Highly collaborative and effective with the ability to lead by example, and contribute through sensible, thoughtful communication and execution.
- Empower teammates to contribute and collaborate based on insights gathered from the front lines of content decision making.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
See more open positions at Canva
Something looks off?